Fringe meeting: How to stop climate chaos Climate change, due to human activity, is creating wild weather patterns, such as hurricanes, floods, and droughts, which have devastating effects on people’s
lives. What can we, as journalists and trade unionists, do to make a difference?
3 April 2008
19.30 – 21.30
Room: Dublin 1
Great Victoria Street
* Jeremy Dear, general secretary of National Union of Journalists
* Eamonn McCann, Socialist Environmental Alliance candidate in Foyle
* John Woods, director (North of Ireland), Friends of the Earth
* Joy Macknight, Campaign Against Climate Change TU group
Format of meeting:
Each speaker should speak for about 8 – 12 minutes, and then we will open up the floor for discussion. Speakers will have the opportunity to sum up after the discussion.
1. To raise the important issue of climate change.
2. To get NUJ members thinking about what they can do in the workplace to help combat climate change.
3. Also to promote other activities outside the workplace that trade unionists should get involved in.