OFFSHORE ENERGY UNION RMT today called for full support for a day of action in support of the Vestas wind turbines factory campaign which will be marked by events up and down the country tomorrow (Wednesday August 12).
RMT, which represents a substantial block of the Vestas workforce, is continuing to support the fight to get the Isle of Wight factory back into production and is sending out a clear signal that the campaign for wind turbine manufacture in England is far from over.
RMT is also backing those workers who have been sacked and victimised at Vestas during the 18 day occupation and is leading a campaign to get them reinstated and to get the threat of black-listing lifted from over their heads.
Bob Crow, RMT general secretary, said today:
“The fight for Vestas and for the future of wind turbine manufacture in England is far from over. We are continuing to back this brave group of workers and the day of action tomorrow gives everyone a chance to send a clear message to the company and to the government that this is an issue that will not go away.”
Wed 12 August – NATIONAL DAY OF ACTION IN SOLIDARITY WITH VESTAS WORKERS
• BANGOR petitioning from 11am onwards by the clock tower; 6.30pm, public meeting in the Harp Inn, High Street, Bangor; tel: Iain, 07809 839793
• BIRMINGHAM 12.30pm rally outside the Government offices for the West Midlands (off Colmore Row, round corner from Halifax), St Philips Place, St Philips Cathedral park, Birmingham B3. Called by Birmingham CACC and supported by Birmingham TUC, tel: 07846 490 408
• BRIGHTON 12-2pm, leafleting/collecting in Churchill Square; 6pm, street meeting in Churchill Square, email: firstname.lastname@example.org, tel: 07845 183407
• CARDIFF 7.30pm, public meeting with Vestas worker; Marianne Owens, Vice-Chair PCS Wales; Wayne Thomas, President of NUM Wales (tbc); Climate Camp Cymru speaker (tbc); and Adam Johannes, Cardiff Campaign against Climate Change, Riverside Community Centre, Brunel St (off Ninian Park Road)
• CENTRAL LONDON 12.30pm, meeting organised by PCS and RMT, The Dining Room, Civil Service Club, 13-15 Great Scotland Yard
• COWDENBEATH picket Gordon Brown’s constituency office, 1-3pm, 318-324 High Street, tel: 07826 517648, email: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
• HARINGEY, NORTH LONDON 5pm-6pm, Wood Green Library, High Rd, N22, rally called by Haringey TUC and the Sustainable Haringey network
• LIVERPOOL Casa (the dockers’ pub), 29 Hope St, 7pm, RMT, dockers and Merseyside TUC meeting to set up solidarity campaign, tel: 0151 709 1786/07940 244718/07930 870934, email: email@example.com
• NOTTINGHAM 5.15pm, rally meeting by the Left Lion in Nottingham Market Square
• OXFORD 12 noon, rally, Bonn Square, called by Oxford and District TUC
• PORTSMOUTH 5.30pm, rally at The Hard
• PLYMOUTH 12.30, the Sundial, leafleting the City Centre at lunchtime, tel: Tony Staunton 07803 620390
• SHEFFIELD 1pm, rally and leafleting outside Sheffield Town Hall
• SOUTHAMPTON rally, 5.30pm, Red Funnel Ferry Terminal, Town Quay, Southampton
• WARRINGTON 7.30-9.30am, demonstration, Vestas HQ, 302 Bridgewater Place, Birchwood Park, Warrington, WA3 6XG, tel: 07724 139278
• WREXHAM public meeting, 7.30pm Barracuda Bar, Town Hill, Wrexham LL13 8NA